Montgomery County Public Schools have organized the large number of schools in the county in the form of clusters. Wyngate Elementary School is part of the Walter Johnson cluster which is made up of schools that feed into Walter Johnson High School.
The other schools in the cluster are Ashburton Elementary School, Farmland Elementary School, Garrett Park Elementary School, Kensington Parkwood Elementary School, Luxmanor Elementary School, North Bethesda Middle School, and Tilden Middle School. Just as the MCPS has organized itself around these clusters, so have the corresponding PTAs.
The overall goal of the WJ cluster’s efforts is to strengthen the individual schools in the cluster as well as the cluster itself. PTA representatives from each of the above mentioned schools meet to discuss issues common to the cluster as well as to exchange information about what each school is doing. The cluster works together in advocating its positions before MCPS, the Board of Education, as well as the Montgomery County Council.
Our Wyngate cluster representatives:
- attend regularly scheduled WJ cluster meetings and report back to the Wyngate PTA regarding issues that were discussed and what other cluster schools are doing that might be of interest to our community (these meetings take place with both WJ cluster representatives and MCPS administration in attendance)
- report our community’s activities and concerns at cluster meetings
- provide relevant information to the Wyngate community — at PTA meetings and via the WyngateParents yahoo group
- coordinate with Mrs. Leister and the Wyngate PTA Presidents in the preparation of CIP (Capital Improvements Program) and budget requests for the annual WJ Cluster testimony before the Board of Education and County Council
- rally the Wyngate Community to attend important Board of Education and County Council hearings